Fast vs Slow Digesting Carbs
Did you know there are fast and slow digesting carbs that have different effects on how quickly our body’s blood sugar elevates?
Most people are aware of the types of food that are primarily composed of carbs: fruits, grains, veggies, and sugary sweets. However, most people don’t realize that there is a difference between fast and slow digesting carbs. The Glycemic Index (GI) help us differentiate between the two because it determines how quickly the carbs in food will result in an elevation of blood sugar.
Faster digestion = Higher GI = Elevated Blood Sugar
- Can lead to weight gain, higher risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease
- Primarily want to consume these directly after exercise
- Breads, cereals, sugars, fruits, some starchy veggies
Slower digestion = Lower GI = Less Elevated Blood Sugar
- Higher in fiber and provide the body with energy over an extended period of time
- Can help with weight loss, prevention of diabetes
- Vegetables, whole grains, seeds, nuts, beans, peas and legumes
So, try to ensure that slow digesting carbs make up the majority of your diet!
Featured Image By: Premier Fitness Camp