Is it safe? Is it effective? What amount does the research say I should take?
Creatine monohydrate, commonly just called creatine, is a very popular supplement taken by athletes to help improve their strength and training performance. But how much do you really know about this supplement? Let’s break it down.
Is it safe?
- Yes! It is a naturally occurring substance in our bodies. Most reports on side effects are anecdotal and have not been established from research studies. Like all supplements the key is taking is according to the proper dosing.
What is the proper dosing according to the National Strength and Conditioning Association?
- 0.3 g/kg of body weight/ per day for at least 3 days
- Increase creatine stores in body
- Switch to 3-5 grams per day
- Maintains elevated stores
Does this supplement actually work? Let’s check it out!
- All studies showed an increase in strength and weight lifting performance
- Individual response is highly variable
- Strength increases from 3% to 45%
Bottom Line: Creatine supplementation is safe and effective in aiding strength gains if taken according to proper dosing!