Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)
What are BCAAs? Should I take them to get more out of my training?
BCAAs are a very common supplements taken by athletes. They can be sold separately, usually in powder form, or are included in protein powder blends. They are composed of Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine. But how much do you really know about this supplement? Let’s break it down.
Is it safe?
- Yes! Amino Acids are the building blocks for protein that our body uses especially for recovery from exercise.
What is the proper dosing according to research?
- 2:1:1 ratio of leucine to isoleucine and valine
- 200 mg/kg of body weight/per day
- ½ prior to training
- ½ after training
Does this supplement actually work? Let’s check it out!
- No increase in athletic performance
- Beneficial effects for decreasing exercise-induced muscle damage, muscle-protein synthesis, muscle recovery, and immune system functions
- When taken before and after training
Bottom Line: BCAA supplementation is safe and effective in aiding muscle recovery if taken according to proper dosing!